Saturday, May 9, 2009

Integrated Pest Management, Golden Rule Style

Our Fava Beans aren't looking so hot right now. They are suffering, as they always do this time of year, from one of the biblical plagues so hideous it could only be referred to euphemistically as "locusts". Yes, I'm talking about Aphids.
Ours are black, and a little bit of research has me guessing that they are Aphis fabae, the Black Bean Aphid. They are the scourge of our Favas, and probably indicate something of which we should be aware (we are generally of the belief that most plants in any given crop will have pests or disease, but only the weaker specimens will succumb to the attack).
At any rate, we worry some about our beloved Fava Beans, high biomass producers that they are, and heralds of the coming of the Fava Bean Burger mentioned in an older post. Mostly, though, we worry about what other people will think when they visit the garden. So we kind of rush them past the Fava beds.
Until recently, of course, when we began to see the textbook example of what we preach in terms of pest management: Lay off the poisons, focus on a healthy system, then let natural predators step in. Most notably we have the Ladybug, which is our garden hero due to its status as a general predator. Once it has finished with the aphids, it will move on to other pests. Or, more likely, when it has eventually reproduced to levels too large to be sustained on the aphids the excess will migrate to the rest of the garden. So when the plants die (of natural deaths) in June or early July, we will have a ridiculous number of ladybugs spreading out for new grounds. A side-note here; Ladybug beetles and larvae both do plenty of eating, up to 50 aphids a day. And Recently a Dutch group called the Foundation Against Senseless Violence chose the Ladybug as its logo. Cute for us humans, ironic on an insect level...
Here we have an unidentified wasp species, which began arriving in droves a week or so ago. They hang out over the Fava Bean beds in the hundreds, maybe thousands, and create roving clouds in the rest of the garden. It isn't their eating habits that please us as much as their egg-laying habits. You can't say that for many things besides chickens, can you? These wasps, just a half-inch long or so, inject an egg into each aphid they encounter. The egg hatches, parasitizes the aphid, and then, when it has eaten all there is, leaves the aphid an empty shell (see left).
Here is another strange predator, which those more skilled or experienced might be able to identify. It is enough for me to know that, with a shape like that, it is not eating Fava Bean plants.
There we have it. If we had gotten wigged out by all those aphids and sprayed, dusted or otherwise applied poisons, the aphid population would surely have been affected. But so would the populations of all the predators attracted to the aphids. It is a basic law of predation that 1) there are fewer predators than prey and 2) the reproductive cycle takes longer for predators than prey. So when it comes to bouncing back from devastation, the prey will excel. Predator populations will come back much more slowly, leaving room for a great infestation before they catch up.
So here's to our ladybugs! May they always get their way in our garden.

5 comments:

  1. I have a problem with slugs and since I live in Portland I am using the beer technique. The funny part was I actually pondered what type of beer they would be the most attracted to. A nice local organic brew or some of that non-local mass-produced canned stuff. I went for the $7.99 a dozen Pilsner AND in 3 evenings with seven traps I have caught 87 slugs and 2 snails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen the beer traps in action, and was very impressed. That's actually a reminder we need here a couple of times a year. Summers dry up to the point that slugs cause no damage whatsoever, but in the spring they are sometimes menacing.
    How many containers do you put out, and where? Do you find that after a while the beer becomes ineffective and needs to be recharged?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only used the 16 oz. sour cream containers with the lids cut in a hourglass shape (for slugs not dog tongues) for five nights now. Every day I remove the slugs. So far, overall, (cross fingers, knock on wood) the slugs have only been attracted to my pole beans and sugar snap peas. I am still seeing some minimal damage being done to the pole beans, but they are in a very grassy area with lots of lush, moist vegetation within 5 inches of the beans. Around the hardest hit, I have put three containers and I must say the containers are very popular with the slugs. My average of ~30 per night has dwindled to ~8 per night. The first night it was all about the big 4 inch slugs, now it is the little guys about 1/4 inch long. I have no idea how long beer works, I am going to go by smell and say every 4 days? Does the fact that my nightly average has plummeted mean that the beer is losing its effectiveness or the slug population is that much lower? I will change the beer today and check it out in the morn.

    P.S. My pear and apple trees are looking good! Thanks to the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh! Send me pictures! I am very curious to know how they are growing back... A big part of me couldn't really believe that our lemons would recover, but they are as happy as ever.
    I asked Ellen about using slug traps here. She had used bowls, and the slugs would line up on the edge. You'd have to push them in, she said. Then she would water and the beer would get diluted. I lid the lid idea...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The slugs do line up along the edge ... if I check in the AM I just flick 'em down to drunken bliss (it is an easy way to capture them.) I then wait until afternoon and they are no longer sober. I don't have to water up here... I will send pics after the batteries have charged for my camera.

    ReplyDelete