Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Fava Bean Burgers

Margo pointed out to me that it has been suggested to us that Banner Fava Beans are not the tastiest, and that the bigger the bean, the tastier it is. That said, we here prefer a modest bean that grows very well to a delicious bean that doesn't. In the past year we have learned that most parts of the plant are edible (roots being the exception), and can be delicious. Last year at a fancy fund-raising dinner for Pacifica Gardens (a wonderful educational/community resource garden project that deserves its own post) one of the plates featured Fava Bean greens, the top 6" of immature plants which were then sautéed in wonderful things and served on baby potatoes... Mmmmm!
Almost immediately after being told that, yes, fava beans grow well here, but no, they don't taste good, Margo set out to create a recipe that would do them justice. Without further ado, I am going to give you the sheet she worked up on them. Photos are of flowering plants and dying, mature plants.

Summer 2007
In the garden we have just completed our harvest of mature fava beans. In the kitchen, I am playing with my new favorite recipe, fava bean burgers. At the table, we are delighting in each new batch of burgers soon to be accompanied by our own fresh tomatoes! We have enjoyed these burgers topped with steamed greens, onions, and vegetables or on our own sourdough rolls. Fava beans have a sweeter flavor than most beans; it is a unique taste to savor. (Fava beans are known to result in an allergic reaction of varying degrees in some people of Mediterranean decent, be aware.) For those interested in trying this garden treat, here is the recipe:
Soak overnight:
• 2 c. dried fava beans Drain the beans, cover with water, and cook until soft (add a bay leaf or two if desired).
Mash beans and add:

• 1 c. onion or green onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• ½ c. mashed potatoes
• 1 T. flour

• 1 T. fresh thyme (or herb of your choice)

• ½ t. salt
• ½ t. pepper
• pinch of cayenne
When well mixed, shape into patties and cook on a lightly oiled or well-seasoned skillet until browned. Flip burgers and brown other side.
This recipe was created with the intention of being as directly “from the garden” as possible. I experimented with adding an egg to hold the burgers together more and determined it did not make a difference. I encourage you to experiment with this recipe too. If you make any delightful discoveries or improvements I’d love to hear about them! - Margo :)

2 comments:

  1. Margo and Dan, it's great to see this recipe and I'll try it... next spring! I'm still not drying my favas as I like to freeze them when I have extras and use the ones dried on the stalk for next year's crop. In fact, I'm supplying three gardens in the Ojai Valley and one in L.A. (my daughter's) with seed.

    Next year I'll also try drying some for eating. But I'll have to find the instructions for when to freeze them (?) to avoid finding weevils in the dried beans....

    Hope all goes well in Indiana,

    Carol Vesecky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the weevils are tricksy. I have been collecting Honey Locust seed (a tree that is leguminous) and have found many of the pods have weevil infestations, just like the FB's!
    We have our new blog up at royermillers.blogspot.com...

    ReplyDelete