Sunday, September 6, 2009

Preaching the Good Word

That would be "grains".
September has brought with it two things of note. First, that crisp, cool, beautiful weather I connect with Autumn. Second, the beginning of our Fall spate of teaching.
We kicked it off last Saturday at Common Ground, the garden supply store and education center in Palo Alto. As a part of their outreach, Common Ground offers all kinds of great classes on the basic theme of gardening. Because of their relationship with Ecology Action, a number of these classes are related to Grow Biointensive, and because of our work with Ecology Action we teach some of the classes. This is all to say that we presented two segments on grains to a wonderful group of enthusiastic gardeners on Saturday.
In two weeks we will go back down to present an Introduction to Grow Biointensive class and a class on composting. The following Monday I will give a presentation to the Ukiah Garden Club on seed saving, and the Sunday following that I will give a similar class at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens. Two weeks after that we will be back at Common Ground to present on the Master Charts in How to Grow More Vegetables and on seed saving once more. Then, in early November, we will assist in Ecology Action's 3-Day Workshop. Lots of teaching!
Which leads to another fascinating realization: we know things that other people don't. As a dutiful product of a traditional public education, I still carry with me the idea that adults know everything and I have no meaningful knowledge whatsoever. Even though I have been an adult for a while now.
But this is all beside the point, which is that we had a wonderful time teaching on Saturday. Fifteen established or budding grain enthusiasts came and participated, hearing all we had to say and sharing some of their own wisdom on the topic. We talked about anatomy, characteristics, and how to grow, harvest, thresh, clean and cook common (and many uncommon) grains.
And the icing on the cake was that Margo and I spent about 5 hours the day before that grinding and making into biscuits wheat, rye, barley, triticale, oats, amaranth, corn, millet, quinoa, rice, sorghum, teff and buckwheat. We wanted everyone to get a feel for the distinctive taste of each grain. And we realized, as we were tasting them in class, that 13 biscuits are a lot to eat all in a little span of time. (We had a good bit left over).
What follows is one of the recipes that folks in the class were really interested in. More will probably come in subsequent posts...

Creeping Crust Cobbler (from Margo's mom)
Melt in 10' baking dish:
  • ¼ c butter
Mix:
  • 1 c barley flour (or whole wheat)
  • ½ c sugar (can be reduced)
  • 1 T baking powder
Mix in and then spoon over melted butter:
  • ½ c milk or buttermilk
Heat and pour over dough:
  • 3 c raspberries (or fruit of choice)
  • ½ c or less sugar (or ¼ c honey)
Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F

4 comments:

  1. Yumm, those biscuits look delicious! I wish I had been one of your tasters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, me, too!

    I forget I'm an adult all the time. (I think especially because I'm not a parent. I know parents much younger than me who act more in charge than I do. I suppose they have to.)

    Busy fall! Make some room for me mid-month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I hope we'll see you... Margo mentions you might come the 20th, when we'll be at the county fair in Boonville. Margo is submitting canning and pies and cookies, and I am submitting yarn that I spun. Plus that day is the sheepdog trials, which are butt-kickin'. You all should stop through there..

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are awesome!

    We'll play it by ear.

    ReplyDelete